Saturday, January 11, 2014

Welcome, enjoy an original story.

I've had a movie blog for a long time, but lately my creative life has been all about fiction and poetry. So it's time to start a blog that reflects that. You'll find updates about my writing and occasional rants here.

And since this is a first post lets start off with an original story. It's more of a vignette really and that's why it's unlikely to have sold anywhere. It's not character driven and there's no exposition. So I guess you could call it experimental flash fiction. I just hope it's entertaining. Enjoy.


Dystopia 911
by Dusty Wallace

“Thank you for dialing city services. Please state your reason for calling.“ 

“Operator, I’m stuck in the theater and it’s on fire!”

“Did you ask, ‘How far is the theater?’ If so, press one now. If not, press two.”

She presses two.

“Thank you for dialing city services. Please state your reason for calling.“

“I’m at the movie theater on Walnut. It’s on fire! Please send help!”

“Are you looking for help with showtimes for “It’s On Fire”? If so, press one. If not, press two.”

She presses two.

“Thank you for dialing city services. Please state your reason for calling.“

“Swanville Theater Seven at 2320 Walnut Avenue is on fire. It’s spreading quickly.”

“We’re sorry. We didn’t not understand the statement. Please speak slowly and clearly.”

“Send a fire truck to 2320 Walnut Avenue or we’ll all die.”

“Transferring. Please hold.”

Soft jazz plays in the background.

“Diecast Towing. Can I help you?”

“I’m in the theater on Walnut and it’s on fire!”

“Why didn’t you call city services?”

“I did. They transferred me to you.”

“Oh, hang up and call them back.”

She hangs up, dials city services.

“Thank you for dialing city services. Please state your reason for calling.“

“I need a fire truck not a tow truck.”

“If your fire truck is experiencing mechanical difficulties, please press one. If not, press two.”

She presses two.

“Thank you for dialing city services. Please state your reason for calling.“

“My tow truck is on fire.”

“We’re sorry to hear that. Where are you located?”

“2320 Walnut Avenue.”

“Are you in need of medical assistance.”

“Yes!”

“Please repeat your answer without shouting.”

“Yes, I’m in need of medical assistance.”

“Emergency services will be arriving shortly. Press two if you need anything else.”

Silence.

“Press two if you need anything else.”

Silence.

“Prank calls are punishable by up to five-hundred dollars in fines or six months in jail.”

Silence.

“Press two if you need anything else.”

She presses two.

“Thank you for dialing city services. Please state your reason for calling.“

“Thssut uhh aggghh.”

“Did you say, ‘That is all.’? If so, press two.”

She presses two.

###

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice to me, please.